Sunday, May 17, 2015

When Things Go Wrong

A few nights ago we had a really bad night. I think every couple that commits to this lifestyle fears that a night like this will happen, and sure enough it finally did.

Prior to that night I had chosen to voice a complaint somewhat abrasively. More significantly, I proceeded to ignore Bruce’s requests for me to stop. This is a big no for us, as I tend to express myself/argue to an incessant degree, and Bruce tends to handle things very calmly until he simply gets pushed over the edge. We’ve found that the best way to avoid escalating into a yelling match is for Bruce to tell me I need to stop for the evening, or (when that fails) to go retrieve the paddle. I always reserve the right to readdress my concerns the next day, but it’s significant to note that by the next day I almost never have any remaining concerns to address. But we unfortunately got lost in the argument, and as a result it quickly escalated past a reasonable disagreement. We had the tool of domestic discipline, but we forgot to use it [mistake #1]. By then he was far too angry to spank me, so he steered me into the bedroom for a time out, telling me that I would be spanked on another night as a reminder to stop when he says to stop.

And so we arrive at the other night. Bruce wasn’t in a good state of mind and I knew it, but nonetheless I made it known that I wanted to “pay” for it and move on [mistake #2]. He also knew that it wasn’t the best time to take care of things, but he agreed to go through with it anyway [mistake #3]. Since my infraction was a major one that we’ve discussed countless times, the spanking itself was easily the worst spanking I have ever received... for starters the warm-up was long and hard enough that I actually cried out before he even started using the paddle. Every strike with the paddle is breathtaking, but this time I was paddled harder and much longer than ever before. He continued well past the point where I felt I could handle it, and when I squirmed desperately he didn’t patiently wait for me to get back into position as usual, but instead pulled me back up himself and spanked me even harder, promising more if I couldn’t hold still. We both hate that I squirm, but it is really hard to fight that reaction; I had intended to, but it hurt so badly! Eventually I burst into tears at the grim task of finding a way to hold still or be spanked even more. Between strikes he was very clear in his reasoning, saying things like “When I tell you to stop, you have to stop… you know you can always bring it up the next day, so you only need to wait a short amount of time… we've discussed how you sometimes need to let things go…” By the end every strike was absolutely unbearable but I somehow found a way to hold still. He asked me if I understood why my letting it go is so important, and I tearfully acknowledged that I did. After a few concluding strikes it was finally over.

Afterward he hinted that I please him in a way that occasionally sort of completes my exercise in submission. I won’t be over-specific, but this time it just felt too forceful or something. I know, I do hear how ridiculous that sounds… “Honey we agreed you should spank me really hard when I really blow it, and that I can follow through with a specific form of intimacy, but this time it felt forceful.” What?? I still can’t articulate what specifically felt wrong, but something about it felt almost demeaning [mistake #4]. I was so hurt, but said nothing in the moment. We went to bed, got up at separate times, and went through our workdays. All the while I wondered how I should address my concerns to Bruce. I prayed about it all day, and when we both got home I admitted how I had felt. He obviously hated that I felt that way, and right away he apologized for disciplining in the wrong frame of mind to begin with. While he was clear that he was not sorry for the severity of the spanking, he admitted that he had been unsure how to proceed from such a severe punishment, and so evidently made a poor choice. I understand that his role requires more complicated and difficult decisions than mine, and I of course forgave him immediately. We made a plan to avoid any similar situation in the future, and we have been really careful to stick with it.

Nonetheless, our mistakes that evening were memorable and upsetting. This is a complicated and delicate lifestyle, to say the least! So many emotions are involved in the process of correcting and receiving correction… bad experiences like this are almost bound to happen, and when they do they seem to cut us to the core. But the bottom line is that Bruce and I are committed to one another; we trust each other, exercise empathy, and have the courage to be honest. In light of these things we are able to bounce back from such experiences and enjoy the enhanced and fulfilling relationship that domestic discipline can offer. To express submission and authority in such a concrete and physical way illuminates so much! Since we have introduced this practice into our marriage I have learned so much about myself and my soul mate, things that I never even knew existed. Before I would have said that Bruce is usually very laid back, but has a grouchy/irritable streak; now I know that he is laid back, but feels incredibly thwarted when he isn’t heard. I used to think that he sort of likes my strong personality, but it sometimes upsets him; now I can confidently say that he loves my strong personality, provided I remember to be respectful to him in the midst of my make-a-plan, take-charge mentality. I strongly believe that this lifestyle is worth the risk of nights like the one we experienced. If we love each other and want to keep our marriage healthy, we can always work past these things. And putting ourselves out there to such an extreme degree brings us so much closer, especially when we can be honest about what went wrong and how we should proceed in the future.

10 comments:

  1. Kate,
    I think we have all been just where the two of you are with this unsavory series of events. It happens, but knowing it will all be all right is comforting. The best thing about ttwd is the ability to start over. Honesty and trust are really important. You will be fine.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, honesty and trust. I actually think it was really comforting to HIM to know that he made me feel that way but that I knew that it was a fine line in the first place... that I understood he didn't mean it like it seemed I guess. Starting over is huge, ttwd or not. Thanks for your words; you are always so comforting and reassuring, and that means a lot :)

      Delete
    2. I like supporting the new bloggers as I was once new myself. I really like your blog.
      Meredith

      Delete
  2. Sorry it got out of control. I'm glad you guys talked about things after, that's so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it kind of did, but we are okay now. You're right; talking is key. Thanks ZBG!

      Delete
  3. Kate,
    You do have to give yourselves time to work out the mistakes. Everyone goes through a huge learning curve in ttwd. Don't beat yourself up over it, just know that mistake won't be repeated because you have learned from it and are better on the other side.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance Megan. It means so much to hear a fellow submissive identify with my experiences and to remind me that we are on the right track. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. You so know we've been there and again, too. 😉 Each time feels devastating. Each time there is restoration and so, a deepened level of trust and closeness. And, a new, better way in moving forward. Thank goodness, right? We can only improve after such "setbacks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put mrs. smith. As you suggested, Bruce and I do feel a deepened level of trust and closeness. As always, thanks for your clarity and reassurance...

      Delete
  5. Hi Kate,
    Loved your post, I can relate to it 100%! We were there just seven days ago. It was a horrible experience. I just wrote about it in my latest post on my blog as well! But I think all we can do is learn from it and forgive. Like the Bible says we must leave the past in the past and stretch ourselves to what is ahead of us. So we pick ourselves up and try again and do it better next time.
    Blessings to you and Bruce,
    Joli.

    ReplyDelete