Sunday, November 29, 2015

I have an announcement...

Okay, so here it is: Bruce and I are expecting a baby girl in May! We were so fortunate to conceive within the second month of trying, and the timing couldn't be better with my job. We are so excited, and totally surprised that it's a girl, as boys seem to be a lot more common in both of our families. To be honest I always sort of expected to have a boy, and am only just now considering the reality of raising a girl. Have I mentioned how deeply that Bruce and I are in love? I am honored to have a baby that is half his, and now we get to share that love with her- this makes the whole process even more beautiful. I'm in the second trimester, and hearing her little heartbeat was truly life changing. Lots of big changes to come in our future!


This is a weird thing to share on a blog, particularly one related to domestic discipline, but in my hesitance to share I have neglected my blog more than I wish. As we have modified our practice of DD to some degree, I've recently been blogging about times that happened further in the past. This works fine, but when I don't have a relevant past event in mind I often simply don't blog at all, and I really don't like that.

A large part of my hesitation comes from the controversy among the DD community about spanking during pregnancy, as some fear that it may be unsafe. I wondered as much myself before conceiving, so I reached out for some answers: not only is Bruce a medical professional himself, but in the beginning of my pregnancy I flat out asked my gynecologist if spanking was okay, and he verified that it was... It was sort of a humorous conversation actually; when I asked him he hesitated momentarily, and then said "I'm sorry, what is it you're wondering about?" I had tried to ignore the awkwardness of repeating the question and said "spanking, you know, as in kink in the bedroom." (...I figured this was much simpler than saying something like "spanking, you know, like when my husband feels I am out of line...") Anyway, he actually chuckled, then said "yes, that's perfectly fine." He smirked a little and added "he's not hitting your stomach, is he?" I confirmed that he was not, and he reiterated that it was completely safe.

While we have modified our use of spanking since we found out, and intend to stop entirely once we reach a certain point in the pregnancy, I realize that some may feel that even this is unsafe. Even so I do ask that you please respect our choice and refrain from sharing any judgements you may feel. I trust the medical expertise of my gynecologist, as well as the medical expertise of my own husband. We feel very confident that what we are doing now has absolutely zero potential of being harmful to our developing baby girl.

During our downtime Bruce assures me that we will keep a running tally for any major offenses, and I don't doubt the validity of that one bit! So we've got a plan for the remainder of the pregnancy, but what about once May does arrive; how will a little one affect our practice of DD? Quite a bit, I imagine. But Bruce assures me that we are committed to this for the long haul, so a blip or two along the way is not really anything to worry about. I am nervous and excited to share this next chapter with my soul mate, and honestly I am relieved that we will have the tool of DD to use at this juncture, particularly because it has proven to be really useful at minimizing the ill-effects of stress... not that we'll be experiencing any of that in the next year or so...


7 comments:

  1. Kate,
    Congratulations! Please continue writing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Bruce and Kate! It drives me bonkers when I hear people give unsolicited advice to pregnant women and/or tell all the horror stories they have ever heard. *sigh* You two handle this pregnancy, including DD, in the way that you two feel is best. I was spanked a few times during my pregnancy...we used leather rather than wood so it was more stingy that thuddy, but again...you two do what you feel is best. BTW...this is your blog...write/don't write about whatever you want.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, glad I'm not the only one who hates that! Thanks for the congratulations and kind words :)

      Delete
  3. Oh! How wonderful! Would love to connect-we've been in your boat and are team pink all the way here! Our youngest is not quite 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to connect. It seems I can no longer access your blog without creating an account- is that correct?

      Delete
  4. How exciting! Congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete