The truth about my absence is that I just cannot find the time for anything outside of my job, my toddlers, and my marriage. I do not understand how people keep up with social media, etc... I can barely keep up on the basics, let alone find time to socialize! I am absent from social media in my regular life as well, although I know I need to get into it more to keep up with the rest of the world.
Am I crazy? What am I missing to make it all fit into my regular routine? My typical day looks like this:
- Wake up, get ready, get my toddlers ready, drop them off with Grandma
- Commute to my service-job in a underserved community (my job exhausts me in every way)
- Work frantically all day, without even a lunch break, until I have to relieve Grandma
- Commute back to Grandma, take my toddlers home
- Struggle to straighten up the house, cook dinner, and spend quality time with my kids
- Greet Bruce when he arrives home, eat dinner with the family
- Clean up after dinner, have family time (usually ends up being an hour or less)
- Bedtime routine and bedtime for our kids, finished by 8:00
- Depending on the day of the week, we then:
a) progress to date night (3 days a week, so no phones, etc)
b) go to bed early night (1 day a week, we literally brush our teeth and get in bed immediately)
c) have family night (1 day a week we spend the evening with a non-immediate family member)
d) personal time (2 days Bruce does his thing, I usually fall asleep pretty quickly on the couch)
Where do I fit social media into my life? The two nights I fall asleep on the couch I suppose..? I just barely have energy to do anything but sleep at this point! And no kidding, 8:00 p.m. is generally the FIRST opportunity I have to respond to any texts I’ve gotten throughout the day. Surely we are just in a crazy-busy phase of life, right? I hope that’s it, otherwise I am doing something terribly wrong to never find the time to do the thing that pretty much everyone does pretty much every day.
But I suppose I do have naptime on Saturdays- that is the time I am using right now! So for starters I’d like to start taking this time to try to catch up on messenger and my personal email, and regularly drop a line in the land of DD blogging (you know, an entry that is actually about DD). Will this actually happen? Who knows... I guess we’ll find out next week!